I’m using Windows 7 and having trouble with my gadgets.
If that doesn’t sound familiar, then “move along, nothing to see here“.
I’ve had a problem a couple of times in the last few days. My weather gadgets decide to be on top of everything else. I cannot check the “always on top” option, and therefore cannot un-check it. Once I thought changing the opacity knocked some sense into the gadget, but that didn’t work today, so who knows.
I found the fix. On an “open” desktop (ie nothing else running):
Right-click, point at “View”, then Unselect “Show desktop gadgets”. The gadgets disappear.
Right-click again, and turn then back on. They behave themselves again … till next time.
It appears that simply showing the desktop (by using Win-D key, for example) confuses the gadgets.
Now, here are some of the questions I asked or found. This is an attempt to make the answer available to other poor seekers of knowledge:
- Windows 7 weather gadget always on top
- Windows 7 gadgets always on top after show desktop
- Windows Sidebar Gadgets – Stuck being on top after clicking Show desktop tab?
- Windows gadget to stay on top after “show desktop”
- “Show Desktop” command causes gadgets to be in an “always on top” state.